BUILDING CAPABILITY, CAPACITY AND COMPETENCY IN THE INNOVATION COREPosted on June 26, 2016 by Paul Hobcraft
The soft side of innovation.
Each of our organization needs to understand their strategic resources to build continuously, so as to sustain and grow the organization; otherwise it will eventually die, starved of what is vital to sustain itself.
The resources you energize, feed and sustain provide the innovative lungs that give oxygen; they need to constantly be nurtured, too breathe and pump new life into the existing.
For innovation to grow and be sustained, we need to consistently build our innovating resources, they give delivery of the healthy living cells to promote and sustain us in new value potential.
The problem is we often are not very good at maintaining our resources and innovation activity. We just simply do not sustain our efforts, we tend to allow them to drift along or become lopsided from one individual teams efforts, while the others simply ‘wallow’...
..Equally organizations rarely set about designing the right conditions, working towards the innovation environment that ‘delivers’ a particular state of being, so as to allow something positive to happen, it just expected to happen...
...When are we going to recognize that innovation should be a real core of our organization’s make-up? With the increasing emphasis on technology within all our organizations we are in need of a radical newly designed Enterprise-wide innovation process.
There are real differences when it comes to building innovation understanding and equipping your organization to perform at improved levels. There are different traits, actions and activities to think through. Here are some of the needs: We Need:
* to build far more serendipity into what we do, also random connections, as well as purposeful discovery, by seeking out increasing connections and engaging in networks of learning and mutual exchange.
* places where we are turning curiosity into reality and building our innovation mental abilities for growth, development and accomplishment, opening up and being receptive and then translating this into new innovation.
* to embed into our new innovation core new routines and thinking. It is determining the changes needed by those new combinations of fusion by seeking out the chemistry from all the connections and exchanges, pushing for creative collisions, positive tensions and dynamics to engage fully in innovation, so the culture, climate and environment are vibrant, challenging and exciting.
* to constantly seeking the new space from knowledge exploitation and exploration, redefining the organization edges, enlarging and enhancing our understanding, pushing constantly out, constantly evaluating, discovering and aligning growth options and then seeking out those outcomes that potentially offer the right return on innovation
* to place learning into the center, to allow our capability building, new competencies to grow and evolve. We focus on the constant need to provide the mechanisms so as to improved performance and capacities by focusing on both our mental and physical abilities to our position and function to explore and exploit. Each contributes to our ability to receive, hold and absorb new knowledge. We measure these by the increased volume and quality outcomes
* new structures, attitudes, investment and motivation to change, to focus on innovation building that needs instilling and coming from the top, not just as a commitment that must happen but integrated and aligned into the strategic thinking and planning, worked through a clear pathway of change to achieve a different, core innovation capability..
* to determine the abilities to deliver in effective, focused, efficient and aligned ways. Knowing what is important, seeking out the actions to support and deliver the part needed to achieve the desired goals. Adjusting as we go, as we learn, ramping up what is working, dampening down what is clearly not.
* to build innovation by working it continuously, on making our environment into this more evolving and dynamic one, where the climate and culture of innovation thrives and grows from this constant feeding and attention.